Thread: Fallout 2 - Gecko Problem After Killing Brain

Lowly new user First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded

Fallout 2 - Gecko Problem After Killing Brain

Hello everyone . Not sure if this is a bug or intended but here's what happened on my first playthrough :

After helping the ghouls with the nuclear power plant but prior to returning to vault city to do what's needed to optimize it , i find a hole in the ground and i get down there to explore it . There i meet the renewalists , and proceed to talk to brain . After muttering something about Rat-God's death , he tells me to go speak to gordon to get the economy holodisk . It sounds reasonable but upon leaving he says that i should join his cult or i would not leave this room alive , to which i reply something like " bring it on " . Even though i play as a good guy , i proceed to kill brain and all the renewalists to get out of there . My reputation in Gecko seems to have fallen by the massacre but it's still neutral so i figure i can keep playing and do other stuff for them until i get it high again . From there on , i've encountered what seem like bugs :

1. There was not a dialogue option with McClure about optimizing the power plant . Upon googling the quest i found i could just head straight for the vault computer without telling McClure , so i did . Not a big problem so far .
    2. Upon returning to Gecko and speaking to Gordon , i got the the Economy Disk but - guess what - there's not a dialogue option with McClure about that either . Still , i figured this might have been intended as the plan was Brain's all along , and with him gone you can't continue the quest . Bug or not , i cannot finish that quest . Also note that by that time i'm "Liked" in Gecko .
    3. I return to Gecko for the third time , five minutes ago , planning to get Lenny to travel with me . I'm still Liked there . But to my surprise every time i talk to someone ( except the traders and such ) i get attacked by the whole city .
    4. Dissapointed i reload my save and attempt to speak only to Lenny , hoping that i might recruit him . I can speak to him normally ( same with Harold ) , and he says he'll be glad to come . But the moment i recruit him he abandons me saying i'm a disgrace to the vault dweller's memory . Matter of fact he won't even speak to me anymore .

So anyway, is there a way to get the ghouls to talk to me again , complete the quest about the Economy Disk and most of all recruit Lenny ? Also , are all these bugs ( i'm sure they are up to a point ) or are they a result of me killing brain and his guards ( though it was clearly in self-defence ) ?

Apologies for the long post and for any mistakes i might have .

additional info : i play vanilla and i'm currently " shield of hope " as well as " champion " and " grave digger "
    Last edited by Tragos114; 01-04-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Orderite Companion to the Last Proton
    Total Downloaded
    I think the brain only goes aggro on you if you piss him off or deny him cheezy puffs. Killing them all is not necessary.
    And normally you'll get an optimization holodisc from Festus, which you didn't mention at all. It is needed to talk to McClure about optimizing the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragos114 View Post
    1. There was not a dialogue option with McClure about optimizing the power plant . Upon googling the quest i found i could just head straight for the vault computer without telling McClure , so i did . Not a big problem so far .
    I think that works only in 1.0, as in totally unpatched. Which is always a bad idea, you should at least have the official patches installed or you'll probably be running into game-breaking bugs sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by verevoof View Post
    Was coming to say "This isn't Reddit," but instead accidentally masturbated to a post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamu View Post
    I'm not an aggressive guy by any means, but put in a Fallout situation, I'd like to think that yeah-- you pick up my dropped gun and use it to kill my dog, I'm making it a point to shoot you in the penis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
    [...]you're some kind of freak who managed to stay a virgin into his 20s despite being a good-looking guy. The rules don't apply to you.