Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56
Results 101 to 116 of 116

Thread: I feel Fallout 4 will be a rude awakening

  1. #101
    I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    184
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonborn View Post
    and i bet your a troll probably living in your moms basement
    Obvious troll is obvious.

  2. #102
    Centurion Half-way Through My Half-life

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Fortification Hill
    Posts
    3,201
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonborn View Post
    and i bet your a troll probably living in your moms basement
    Ugh a Bethesda troll... look I don't mind if you hate the first two and love Fallout 3 but please do it in a relatively gracious and decently spelled manner.

  3. #103
    Toaster Repair Water Chip? Been There, Done That
    Irwin John Finster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    898
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TransgenderVaultDeweller View Post
    As everyone is quite aware and familiar with. Bethesda is notorious for making bland pesudo action games. I vomit at the notion of calling it an RPG. Regardless. The title of this thread i will explain.
    ...
    What do you all think? Am i the only that thinks the lack of story marketing is intentional and to masquerade the bad story telling/choice/consequences for sales?
    Well this was quite prophetic considering what was delivered with the final product. I predicted Fallout 4 would be this way when I saw what Bethesda did with Skyrim. Considering they spent so much time talking about how great the Dog is and crafting is, as well as a bunch of things that have nothing to do with what Fallout fans really love, I'd have to say yes of course this was intentional.

    The formula for Bethesda's games:
    1) Make good game (Morrowind, Fallout 3/Obsidian's New Vegas, maybe Oblivion)
    2) Make second game that appeals to more people and hope the original fans still buy it as well.

    Say what you want about Fallout 3 but at least you had dialogue options and at least there wasn't a horrifically bad voice actor breaking your immersion and reminding you that you are not role-playing a character.

    We play Bioshock or Metro to get immersed in someone else's well written story that is presented to us by the developer. We play Bethesda games to play as our own character and explore the world as who we want to be. Now Bethesda has massively failed in its attempt to be like Bioshock or Metro and present us with a pre-made protagonist. Or rather, I should say Bethesda has had a tremendous success in creating a generic, badly acted, voiced protagonist that appeals to people who do not play role playing games in the first place in order to expand to new target demographics.

    And what's worse, Bethesda is not a mom-and-pop developer studio, and yet when these on-rails "conversations" begin sometimes the screen just clips into a brahmin's butt or something while the dialogue, if you can even call it that, plays.

    And what's even worse is seeing these journalists refer to Fallout 4 as a game for "hardcore RPG fans." It's a gutted first-person shooter with bad voice acting, bad dialogue, bad writing, no choices or consequences, but good first-person shooting and decent crafting and exploration. So basically, it's Borderlands with a failed attempt at writing a protagonist like Booker DeWitt, Commander Shepherd, or that guy from Metro. And that is exactly the game you should make if you want to sell more so that it is a game that is mediocre for everyone but great for no one.
    Last edited by Irwin John Finster; 11-14-2015 at 07:23 PM.

  4. farchettiensis gave this post some rads
  5. #104
    I should set a custom title Water Chip? Been There, Done That
    Gizmojunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    970
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor 0 View Post
    If he can come up with an intro that doesn't force a background on the pc, then he is an infinitely better writer than the hack they have right now.
    I don't see that as being better; I don't at all see the lack of a context as being preferable, or more skillful; I see it as a cop-out ~rather than writing an interesting origin/ and situation to kick off the campaign. I will quit a game that just drops the player into a sandbox to play in the sand.

    Quote Originally Posted by No Man View Post
    Well, you gotta admit FO3 was a lot more restrictive about your backstory. I mean, FO2 has us playing as a tribal, but that was pretty much it. Same for FO1 being from V13 was the only backstory you had. That is not much.
    No to both. Fallout begins with a PC that has been essentially raised in a cave, and under a very rigid society. They have been fed every day, and done their proscribed duties every day... They are essentially living in a penitentiary ~and know nothing different... which is to say ~that is what life is to them; it has [like it or not] shaped their perception of existence from birth. That is the kind of mind and personal history you get to play in Fallout. The minor details of their life may differ, but they are all cast of the same mold, with only the 'casting defects' being their personal differences. They have no experience with a different world view ~they ALL were born and raised in the same metal coffin. Fallout is quite the culture shock to emerge into a completely alien ~Earth.

    While their views may change during their adventure... they all start out seeing it as leaving "the world" (with the intention of returning as a hero ~and to get on with their life, once this is behind them)... in a similar vein to that of an inner city child exploring the city sewer system to find a lost ball that fell down a storm drain.


    Quote Originally Posted by generalissimofurioso View Post
    Dude's just got a chip on his shoulder.

    You see it with people who complain pedantically about grammar instead of the points being made.

    Grammar is mostly just the realm of dead guys who thought we should all be speaking Latin.
    I see one's choice of grammar as being akin to one's choice of driving habits; and one's respect for the implied public contract of behavior when exercising each around others.

    Quote Originally Posted by MessedUpPro View Post
    You're going to "writing school" with grammar like that? Fuck me... I fear for whatever field you are going into and its future...

    On the topic (which, by the way, Walpknut, has nothing to do with the NPC's), I have to say, I'm actually glad I don't have story details. I mean, a little more would be nice. A simple "you are on a quest to do -insert thing here-" would be fine. But we live in a day and age where trailers show way too much of the story, and you can piece together the entire plot based off the trailers alone. I'm glad they are keeping it low-key, and I do not feel this is because they are hiding their bad writing. If their writing has always been bad, as seems to be the popular opinion here, then why have their past games shown more about the story? Why would they suddenly want to hide it, if they previously had no fear of this?
    One can look at a movie trailer, and usually see the lemons from the peaches; the lemons tend to put every redeeming second of the film into the trailer. I don't think it's any different with games.

  6. #105
    I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    184
    Total Downloaded
    0
    I wouldn't say Fallout 4 had no Choices, it had let you join four different factions in the ending after all. That's three factions more than Fallout 3.
    The best ending for me involved getting the Meat of Champions perk. Nothing like being a cannibal and eating Mr House's hundreds of years old body, Caesar for his delicious megalomaniac powers, The King and President Kimball. Allying with Yes Man, taking over Vegas. In my mind I imagine that cannibal hotel becoming the biggest attraction of the Wasteland for generations, an almost Aztec like altar of sacrifice, where people willingly gave themselves up as produce for money sent to their family. - Dreaad

  7. #106
    I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing
    AgentBJ09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    249
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Big No View Post
    I wouldn't say Fallout 4 had no Choices, it had let you join four different factions in the ending after all. That's three factions more than Fallout 3.
    The problem is you're talking about ONE major choice when the past games had numerous such instances of it spread throughout, not in the third chapter alone, and those choices were acknowledged in the ending of the game. Fallout 4 doesn't do that, just like how Civ V doesn't replay your games once they're over like the past games did.

  8. #107
    Centurion Half-way Through My Half-life

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Fortification Hill
    Posts
    3,201
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentBJ09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big No View Post
    I wouldn't say Fallout 4 had no Choices, it had let you join four different factions in the ending after all. That's three factions more than Fallout 3.
    The problem is you're talking about ONE major choice when the past games had numerous such instances of it spread throughout, not in the third chapter alone, and those choices were acknowledged in the ending of the game. Fallout 4 doesn't do that, just like how Civ V doesn't replay your games once they're over like the past games did.
    Yeah Fallout 4 has barely any choices.

  9. #108
    I've been around First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    40
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Beth makes digital drugs for the weak minded. Sure its entertainment but for who? Not me. They're not making Fallout 3 or 4 for me. They're making it for the masses. I accept this. I haven't bought a beth product since oblivion when pete showed up to the picture and butcher it. Oblivion on paper was great advancement of the franchise. But we got was crap a lie compared to morrowind. Then they bought the IP for Fallout I knew then and there they would ruin it. Its not about making great games for them. Its about how much money they can make from you. I don't support them nor expect anything good from them. Same goes for EA and friends, Stardock, Egosoft, and others. Shit Even CDProjekts too I was screwed with witcher 3 for PC. I fell for it. multiplatform, microtransactions, Seasons passes. DLC scams.. Gaming industry is shit now. I'll stick to classics on gog and kickstarter opportunities. My only hope!
    In life I'm staring at you. In death there I sent you.

  10. Crni Vuk, farchettiensis gave this post some rads
  11. #109
    Centurion Half-way Through My Half-life

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Fortification Hill
    Posts
    3,201
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfehunter View Post
    Beth makes digital drugs for the weak minded. Sure its entertainment but for who? Not me. They're not making Fallout 3 or 4 for me. They're making it for the masses. I accept this. I haven't bought a beth product since oblivion when pete showed up to the picture and butcher it. Oblivion on paper was great advancement of the franchise. But we got was crap a lie compared to morrowind. Then they bought the IP for Fallout I knew then and there they would ruin it. Its not about making great games for them. Its about how much money they can make from you. I don't support them nor expect anything good from them. Same goes for EA and friends, Stardock, Egosoft, and others. Shit Even CDProjekts too I was screwed with witcher 3 for PC. I fell for it. multiplatform, microtransactions, Seasons passes. DLC scams.. Gaming industry is shit now. I'll stick to classics on gog and kickstarter opportunities. My only hope!
    And modding. All hail for modding.

  12. #110
    I've made over 40 posts First time out of the vault
    farchettiensis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great Underground Empire
    Posts
    42
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Feels like prophecy now, hehe, guess it was only logical. Maybe it's a mixture of incompetence, greed, and short-sightedness. There are always people who claim to be experts at what the masses want, but in truth it's arrogance and an underestimation of what people can and are willing to do (you CAN make great stories, which are rather complex, and still appeal to the masses). Bethesda may have done a tradeoff, ultimately. In a swift coup de grāce, they kicked over a community of annoying hardliners, once they realized they don't needed them anymore, while hiding their hand with magic marketing tricks and clever manoeuvring. Perhaps this wasn't done in such a thought out manner, but in a more cloudy way, as arrogant and greedy people use to do. Points is, now they can anything they want to, given its commercial success. There is little reason to believe they will be responsive to criticism, I mean, just look at their record - have they ever?

  13. #111
    I should set a custom title First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    72
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dutch Ghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walpknut View Post
    I don't know, I would be more miserable if I joined a forum just to complain about how they don't like something.
    I suspect Walpknut that this is some kind of initiation rite on the Bethesda Fallout forums. "Before you can truly call yourself a Bethesda Fallout fan, you must face the neckbeards, fossils, old timers, and anyone who clings to the first Fallouts and doesn't follow the mantra that all change is good. You must confront them and tell them the undeniable truth, and defend your own opinion without backing it up, or better use the consensus that Fallout 3 is simply good and that these people are idiots for not seeing that."

    It is kind of charming, us having become a part of their traditions and mythology.
    Goddamn it. Now you have me laughing because I'm imagining some sort of Fallouty faction doing this.

  14. #112
    Enemy of the State Look, Ma! Two Heads!
    ZigzagPX4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    356
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DVL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dutch Ghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walpknut View Post
    I don't know, I would be more miserable if I joined a forum just to complain about how they don't like something.
    I suspect Walpknut that this is some kind of initiation rite on the Bethesda Fallout forums. "Before you can truly call yourself a Bethesda Fallout fan, you must face the neckbeards, fossils, old timers, and anyone who clings to the first Fallouts and doesn't follow the mantra that all change is good. You must confront them and tell them the undeniable truth, and defend your own opinion without backing it up, or better use the consensus that Fallout 3 is simply good and that these people are idiots for not seeing that."

    It is kind of charming, us having become a part of their traditions and mythology.
    Goddamn it. Now you have me laughing because I'm imagining some sort of Fallouty faction doing this.
    Isn't NMA as a community as close as you can get to a Fallout faction? It's bitter, distrustful of the outside, but full of intelligent ideas... I'm thinking the Brotherhood cuts the closest to it, but even Vault City and the Boomers count.
    [insert signature here]

  15. #113
    Centurion Half-way Through My Half-life

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Fortification Hill
    Posts
    3,201
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigzagPX4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DVL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dutch Ghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walpknut View Post
    I don't know, I would be more miserable if I joined a forum just to complain about how they don't like something.
    I suspect Walpknut that this is some kind of initiation rite on the Bethesda Fallout forums. "Before you can truly call yourself a Bethesda Fallout fan, you must face the neckbeards, fossils, old timers, and anyone who clings to the first Fallouts and doesn't follow the mantra that all change is good. You must confront them and tell them the undeniable truth, and defend your own opinion without backing it up, or better use the consensus that Fallout 3 is simply good and that these people are idiots for not seeing that."

    It is kind of charming, us having become a part of their traditions and mythology.
    Goddamn it. Now you have me laughing because I'm imagining some sort of Fallouty faction doing this.
    Isn't NMA as a community as close as you can get to a Fallout faction? It's bitter, distrustful of the outside, but full of intelligent ideas... I'm thinking the Brotherhood cuts the closest to it, but even Vault City and the Boomers count.
    Brotherhood of Steel, because it fits the whole false rumours thing.

  16. #114
    I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    293
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Fallout View Post
    Brotherhood of Steel, because it fits the whole false rumours thing.
    We shoot lasers from our eyes? Awesome!
    I am annoyed and upset by opinions different to my own, so naturally I spend my time reading and taking part in internet discussions.

    What could possibly go wrong?

  17. Ninja, Dr Fallout gave this post some rads
  18. #115
    Centurion Half-way Through My Half-life

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Fortification Hill
    Posts
    3,201
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Fallout View Post
    Brotherhood of Steel, because it fits the whole false rumours thing.
    We shoot lasers from our eyes? Awesome!
    No, we eat puppies.

  19. #116
    I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vault 13
    Posts
    136
    Total Downloaded
    0
    And what's even worse is seeing these journalists refer to Fallout 4 as a game for "hardcore RPG fans."
    What I find most depressing about this is that Wasteland 2 was ported to consoles about a month before Fallout 4 came out, and I didn't even know it was out till I saw it in shops.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions