Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergent Game Technologies goes bottoms-up

Total Downloaded

Emergent Game Technologies goes bottoms-up

Per this Game Business Review report, the company holding the rights to the Gamebryo engine, Emergent Game Technologies, has folded and is selling its assets. If anyone was seriously thinking Bethesda would continue using this engine for their next title, it's really time to stick a fork in it. id Tech 5 here we come!

Total Downloaded
    16.92 MB
    They already have a game in the works, so probably the next couple games can expect to still be using the final Bethesda version of Gamebryo or Gamebryo Lightspeed. I doubt they would use the ID tech from Rage, Todd Howard's commented on this before. Unless ID modifies the engine for TES type games
    New to NMA? Check out some of our most popular threads:
    Rate the avatar above yours | What game are you playing right now? | Introduce yourself! AKA the "Say hello" thread

All inclusive Fallout 1 mod: Fallout Fixt by @Sduibek | The popular and recently updated: Fallout 2 restoration project by @Killap | Fallout 1 and 2 high resolution patches by @Mash

Adept Bungler of Things Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Total Downloaded
    And today marks the day korindabar's theory died. Sad day.

I saw the Rage G4 presentations. Supposedly the areas are modeled then hand painted. Ehhh, hopefully they have more powerful tools for modularity. Mixed feelings - not enough information at this point. Fallout 4 without a GECK replacement/revision would kinda suck.

EDIT:
    Ninja'd by korinda
    The world is a dick.

I should set a custom title Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    I've heard from a developer that id Tech 5 is good for linear shooters, but doesn't work very well with open-world games. And what if ZeniMax buys EGT?

Total Downloaded
    16.92 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Makagulfazel
    And today marks the day korindabar's theory died. Sad day.

I saw the Rage G4 presentations. Supposedly the areas are modeled then hand painted. Ehhh, hopefully they have more powerful tools for modularity. Mixed feelings - not enough information at this point. Fallout 4 without a GECK replacement/revision would kinda suck.

EDIT:
    Ninja'd by korinda
    Ha!

And there is also the modularity to consider. I wonder what considerations will be made for a GECK type tool. New Vegas back to Morrowind had kits for the mod community, there's somewhat of an expectation now.
    New to NMA? Check out some of our most popular threads:
    Rate the avatar above yours | What game are you playing right now? | Introduce yourself! AKA the "Say hello" thread

All inclusive Fallout 1 mod: Fallout Fixt by @Sduibek | The popular and recently updated: Fallout 2 restoration project by @Killap | Fallout 1 and 2 high resolution patches by @Mash

I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausir
    And what if ZeniMax buys EGT?
    My exact thoughts. I think there's an enormous chance of it happening.
    "People always call it luck when you've acted more sensibly than they have."

I should set a custom title Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty_theaussie
    My exact thoughts. I think there's an enormous chance of it happening.
    Another agreement here. It would increase licensing opportunities in addition to giving Bethesda what they like.

"Pessimism is, in brief, playing the sure game. You cannot lose at it; you may gain. It is the only view of life in which you can never be disappointed. Having reckoned what to do in the worst possible circumstances, when better arise, as they may, life becomes child's play."
    ~Thomas Hardy

"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows."
    ~David T. Wolf

Still kind of new First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    wooooo id tech 5. Gonna miss the easily moddable GameBryo but that's about all I'll miss about it.

Total Downloaded
    ZeniMax has been buying a lot of stuff lately, so them buying Gamebryo wouldn't surprise me whatsoever.

Adept Bungler of Things Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Total Downloaded
    Zenimax has adopted the Obama administration's economic policies:
    The world is a dick.

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Why would EGT collapsing have anything to do with whether or not Bethesda continues to use Gamebryo? It's not as if the engine miraculously disappears when the company it's licensed from closes its doors. All it'll mean is that someone else will be collecting the licensing fees.

Total Downloaded
    And what if ZeniMax buys EGT?[/quote]Maybe not...I'm sure Zenimax knew about there finances before this report.

Total Downloaded
    They could buy the engine and the development division (pretty much the former Numerical Design Limited), though. Not necessarily the whole company.

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    I for one didn't see this coming, but I haven't been as up to date about the situation. If Bethesda is still able to customize the engine code to their needs I don't see why they would stop using it.

If someone buys the assets for Gamebyro, future use by current licensor's really depends on the contracts and how they are handled.

Just about any engine can be adapted but your mileage will vary. A good example is Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and UE 3, the engine wasn't made to support anything close to a fighting game of that type but they made it happen, at 60 frames to boot.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Elven6
    I for one didn't see this coming, but I haven't been as up to date about the situation. If Bethesda is still able to customize the engine code to their needs I don't see why they would stop using it.

If someone buys the assets for Gamebyro, future use by current licensor's really depends on the contracts and how they are handled.

Just about any engine can be adapted but your mileage will vary. A good example is Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and UE 3, the engine wasn't made to support anything close to a fighting game of that type but they made it happen, at 60 frames to boot.
    Maybe thats why the in game engine looks so stiff....

Total Downloaded
    I can see this happening.

Legislative Senator oTO Carbon Dated and Proud
    Total Downloaded
    Maybe... Interplay buys it first!

Quote Originally Posted by verevoof
    And if you still want to hold on to "solid dick", I have the issue right in my hand and can take a picture of the page.

I should set a custom title Vault Fossil

Total Downloaded
    Hope it gets bought by Interplay first...

Just for the lolz.

I should set a custom title Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBumble
    Hope it gets bought by Interplay first...

Just for the lolz.
    Would be a hilarious situation.

The Enclave should ditch their power armor project and just make armor out of hillbilly hides.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick
    It's not as if the engine miraculously disappears when the company it's licensed from closes its doors.
    No, it means that unless someone is taking over or the company is bailed out somehow (it doesn't seem like they're at that stage, though, if ZeniMax was going to buy it wholesale they would've done so earlier), support for the engine will be discontinued, which means the cost for developers to continue to use the engine will rise astronomically.

There's only so much updating you can do regardless. The idea of Bethesda still using the same basic engine for its next title is ludicrous.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast