Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Age of Decadence Round-up

I should set a custom title Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Total Downloaded

New Age of Decadence Round-up

Lots to tell, people, lots to tell. First off, let me introduce you to the Ruins of Zamedi, once the second largest city of Age of Decadence's world:

Now, on to the newly created topic about character generation. There's quite a bit of a discussion around the looks of the screen, and not so much about its actual content, but it's still nice to see a few screenshots:

There's also a new topic about the looks of the terrain. Apparently Oscar has been working on the old blurry textures and made a few improvements. There's the old (to the left) and the new (to the right):

Oh, and by the way, do you remember The Bridge we covered a while back? Vince let us look at the new polished version:

Lastly, there were some concerned citizens worried that they might miss the debut of the game. Here's what Nick had to say about it:
    Well, we'll send an email to all registered forumites when the AoD is out, whether they want it or not! MWHAHAHA!

I should set a custom title Lived Through the Heat Death

Total Downloaded
    I like the looks and the content.

I should set a custom title Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Total Downloaded
    Hmm, that almost looks like a chemtrail/contrail in the sky to the right of the tower.

I should set a custom title Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Total Downloaded
    Thanks, Morbus.

Oscar posted a few more screens (of the gameplay variety) here, in case someone's interested:
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum...14168#msg14168

Total Downloaded
    I actually love the thing about copying the text. Thing is we don't know if we nailed it or not right away. We actually have to show it to someone else so they tell us weather the text was correctly copied or not

Isn't it?

I should set a custom title Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Total Downloaded
    I was wondering, the topics have been around for quite a while on the official forums yes? I'm sure I already read/saw those topics/images :S

EDIT: Copying the text bit is mint! I told him about it, it's so cool, haven't seen anything like it in other games tbh.

Total Downloaded
    Yes, they've been there for a while. This is a round-up of everything relevant we haven't newsposted it.

Made in USSR Vault Senior Citizen
    Total Downloaded
    Wow, a clear visual improvement from older screenshots. Landscape seems to be improved and shadowing is present, etc. Looks really charming.

I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

Total Downloaded
    This game makes up for the clusterfuck that is fallout 3. I only wish that there were voice actors.

Edit: I wandered in from the wastes! I'm not a freak anymore! Woot!

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    I'm looking forward to this one. We haven't had any hardcore cRPGs in a while.

Total Downloaded
    Looks great but IMO the game would be more appealing if set in historical Roman Empire.
    Not really sure why CRPGs always choose fantasy over reality when it comes to settings. I mean, there was plenty of "action" in our own history

Made in USSR Vault Senior Citizen
    Total Downloaded
    Putting a game in an authentic historical setting requires a lot of detailed research. As result it risks running into the RPG equivalent of "uncanny valley", where someone will always end up pointing out that the gladiator's belt is made out of material which wasn't invented until 16th century, or that a verb used by a senator wasn't really appropriate for that era.

They could waste their time researching all that crap, or they could be, you know, making a game.

In addition, grounding the game in reality limits potential plot surprises and use of magic.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by shihonage
    Putting a game in an authentic historical setting requires a lot of detailed research. As result it risks running into the RPG equivalent of "uncanny valley", where someone will always end up pointing out that the gladiator's belt is made out of material which wasn't invented until 16th century, or that a verb used by a senator wasn't really appropriate for that era.
    Those that point out such things are nitpicking. Larger errors should still be pointed out however.

They could waste their time researching all that crap, or they could be, you know, making a game.
    I believe the research would be appreciated. Isn't it a writer's task and not a programmer's?

In addition, grounding the game in reality limits potential plot surprises and use of magic.
    You can still have as many plot surprises as you want and I don't see why is magic so important? If you really want it in your game you could do it. Not in the terms of "generic fantasy magic" but the way our old people did it.

Total Downloaded
    Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome.

There you go with your hardcore historical RPG.

Total Downloaded
    Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome.

There you go with your hardcore historical RPG.
    Thank you very much

I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

Total Downloaded
    LLGG for me
    Wasteland return - April 2009.

I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

Total Downloaded
    Teudogar looks a lot like Ultima, even the inventory bag with goodies. Same game engine? Anyways I noticed it seems to be abandonware.

As for historical stuffs, well I'd rather it be fantasy so we can have umm.. maybe a dragon.. or something. I dunno. I'm not expecting any magic or dragons or anything like that to be in Age of Decadence. The setting seems rather bland to me, but I'm definitely going to be giving it a try. Will it be available at my local Wal-Mart? Or will I be forced to *shudders* pay for a... "download"? I hope I'll at least be able to order a copy from their website. I still don't trust downloadable content. I like to feel like I'm actually paying for something a bit more.. substantial. x]

I like the char gen screen and all the skills and stuff. The areas we'll be exploring and such also look great. The people though? Hmm.. Well they look like they'll walk funny and the female loremaster looks kinda frumpy. Any screenshots of the other female characters? Are all the women in the game frumpy looking? Of course, I shouldn't really mind playing as an ugly character that much, considering I played through Arx Fatalis a few times and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Still kind of new First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    Yeah, a boxed version will be available.
    "Unfortunatedly, we can't ban people for being complete and utter morons. We have to wait until they break forum rules." - Wooz

I should set a custom title First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    Y'know, with these kind of games, you always get these really cool-sounding skills like Etiquette and Streetwise, but you suspect in the back of your mind that they'd actually end up being pretty useless/trivial. I think the range of options there sort of intimidates me actually - which is odd because I dealt fine with all the options in NWN2, Fallout, etc.

Got to say the new texture upgrade really makes everything look better, it's like the difference between Oblivion's long distance texture and a decent 2D RTS (though maybe that's a bit harsh).

Total Downloaded
    Well, this time around, etiquette and streetwise really have a use. Also, trading, disguise and lore skills have more to them than their immediate logical effects (trade, disguising and knowing items)... Pretty much every skill has dialog skill checks throughout the game, for what we've seen and vince's told us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast