Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NMA Op-ed: Fallout 3 PAX Impressions

Total Downloaded

NMA Op-ed: Fallout 3 PAX Impressions

None of our staffers had the time or funds to drop in on either E3, GC or PAX. But since the Fallout fan perspective is still kind of lacking in most previews, we thought we'd ask two of our users who did have a chance to play the game at PAX how they felt about it, from a fan's perspective.
    Attention to detail is greater than any Bethesda game and the sheer size and scope is underplayed in the videos which often time lapse. However, animation is still standard Bethesda fare; stiff movement, cartoony blood, and a general lack of weight. Particle effects like smoke and lighting are great but why is it that a character walking down a ramp looks like he’s gliding an inch above the ground?

The sound is also a mixed bag with voice acting ranged from decent to downright laughable (the entire crowd chuckled when Burke went “Excellent… EXCELLENT!”). Some guns sound nice and powerful while others are barely noticeable. The laundry list of licensed music is fantastic and fits the setting but hearing a mole rat or radscorpion charge at you is underwhelming.

This game isn’t Fallout (and that goes without saying). However, it’s NOT Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 is best described as “An Action RPG Set in a Re-imagined Fallout Universe.” The game is entertaining and I say that proudly. Don’t let the ignorance of executives and press officials who’ve probably never touched Fallout negatively influence your enjoyment of an honestly decent game.
    Op-ed: Fallout 3 PAX Impressions.

I've been around First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    From what I read it's "not Fallout 3" but it is "a good Fallout spin-off".

Total Downloaded
    Depends on how well they treat the setting.

It looks like a better spin-off than Tactics or Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel were, tho'.

I should set a custom title Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Total Downloaded
    That would be good. The biggest issue with tactics, was ...... there was no actual interaction it was entirely mission based. Which I guess is what it always claimed to be.

Sounds good. Wish I could read it all at work.
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity.
    Benjamin Disraeli

"I don't swear for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. We've got to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words anybody understands." Henry Drummond

"If you look for the bad in Fallout 3 expecting to find it, you surely will" Abraham Simms

I should set a custom title Vault Fossil

Total Downloaded
    thanks man. dont make me translate that... perhaps i will at the weekend.

drinkers remorse: i'd rather have been drunk last night - than hang-over free right now. (maakies)

I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

Total Downloaded
    Well, I have to say, this has made go from "I'm not interested" to "I might get it in the bargain bin".

We will see.

I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

Total Downloaded
    A nice read. It makes Fallout 3 sound a lot more promising than I was hoping for.

I should set a custom title Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    The biggest issue with tactics, was ...... there was no actual interaction it was entirely mission based. Which I guess is what it always claimed to be.
    And the liberties they took with the setting (e.g. pretty much no retro elements).

A right proper chap. Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Total Downloaded
    Tactics sorta did the opposite of Fallout 3. Tactics Had most of the post apocalyptic mad max stuff down but forgot the retro 50s. Maybe if you combine the two you get a full Fallout game.

Well this article pretty much summed up what I thought Fallout 3 would be anyway so at least it isn't going to be as bad as the nagging pessimist in my head was telling me.
    ''You have the right to remain inconspicuous."

1/1 4/3 3/2 2/2 Vault Fossil
    Total Downloaded
    This game isn’t Fallout (and that goes without saying). However, it’s NOT Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 is best described as “An Action RPG Set in a Re-imagined Fallout Universe.”
    I just can't understand why they chose to buy the Fallout license. The Elder Scrolls brand has much more value as far as marketing goes.

It's clear that every decision made, when making F3 is heavily based on financial reasons. The Elder Scrolls is clearly a better contender in that departament.

Why in the world did they chose to make less money with an unknown brand, if they had no intention of making the Fallout series justice?

The sound is also a mixed bag with voice acting ranged from decent to downright laughable (the entire crowd chuckled when Burke went “Excellent… EXCELLENT!”). Some guns sound nice and powerful while others are barely noticeable. The laundry list of licensed music is fantastic and fits the setting but hearing a mole rat or radscorpion charge at you is underwhelming.
    Yet another mystery. I think that most people are really tired of hearing the same imperial guard, but still, the same voice actor is used again and for a potentially good character, thus ruining its potential.

I suspect that this voice actor is a relative of someone important at bethesda

However, animation is still standard Bethesda fare; stiff movement, cartoony blood, and a general lack of weight. Particle effects like smoke and lighting are great but why is it that a character walking down a ramp looks like he’s gliding an inch above the ground?
    Well, this was evident long ago, still to bethesda for a good job.

I should set a custom title So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Total Downloaded

Re: NMA Op-ed: Fallout 3 PAX Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Brother None
    Fallout 3 is best described as “An Action RPG Set in a Re-imagined Fallout Universe.”
    It's STALKER : Capitol Hill?
    Trite pigeonholings aside.
    As someone who couldn't be bothered to finish STALKER, and wouldn't piss on Oblivion if it was on fire, I fail to see why I'd want to play this so-called Fallout 3.

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    I always kept adding comments to Bethesda Game Studios profile on youtube like the one in the first topic, of course to no avail.....
    I do not know why should this be called Fallout 3? They could have done some game set in Fallout universe and call it Fallout xxxx. This way they would have pleased both audiences : fans and casual gamers alike. Now they will release this game with a title "Fallout 3". The die-hard fans will take it as blasphemy and the casual gamers do not even know what this game is about.....they would not even notice the change between Fallout 3 and Fallout xxx....
    What can change the nature of a man?

A "fellow" Fallout 3 lover wrote on youtube:

The first 2 were:
    -Hard as Fuck
    -Glitchy (even more than the 3rd)
    -Boring
    -Misleading (in some quests)
    -Not self explanatory

Still kind of new First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    This is a good preview... I'll be looking forward to more fans of the series to preview and review.

Shweetums.
    It's not how long you live, but how you live and what you leave behind.

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Since I live in Washington State. From a lot of my friends told me that they enjoyed the game and some could not get in.

I should set a custom title First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Szeder
    I always kept adding comments to Bethesda Game Studios profile on youtube like the one in the first topic, of course to no avail.....
    I do not know why should this be called Fallout 3? They could have done some game set in Fallout universe and call it Fallout xxxx. This way they would have pleased both audiences : fans and casual gamers alike. Now they will release this game with a title "Fallout 3". The die-hard fans will take it as blasphemy and the casual gamers do not even know what this game is about.....they would not even notice the change between Fallout 3 and Fallout xxx....
    Hah, you're suprised that no one gives 2 shits about youtube comments? Welcome to the internet.

I get annoyed when I read the comments "Fans hate this", "Real fans think that...". I can't remember a time where I haven't had a fallout installed on my computer. I regard it as one of the best cRPG's ever made. I've got the collectors edition ordered for my PC, and I can't wait until Fallout 3 gets installed on my PC!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Szeder
    snip
    I am a die hard fan of original, and I don't view FO3 as blasphemy - I like it so far, actually.Why they used Fallout brand ? They probably really like it ! As Todd said - you don't buy something for a few millions and dedicate 4 years of your life to it to just fuck it up, and you won't do it if you don't like it.I don't know why its such a big deal all the time.

btw, thanx cow and plissken, great write-ups, am glad you liked it.

Total Downloaded
    Of course everyone has their own things why they like Fallout-series. It's subjective.

But what separates Fallouts from lot of other RPGS are excellent dialogue, original atmosphere and choices & consequences.

What Bethesda is trying to do, is a (seemingly) mediocre shooter with RPG-elements. Not actually Fallout-esque.
    The Earth is round.[citation needed]

Gotta love wikipedia.

http://www.hitler.com/ This makes me always laugh.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeld
    What Bethesda is trying to do, is a (seemingly) mediocre shooter with RPG-elements. Not actually Fallout-esque.
    Good thing you used the word seemingly.

Total Downloaded
    Yes, good thing, or his head might have exploded.

Total Downloaded

Re: NMA Op-ed: Fallout 3 PAX Impressions

While I am willing to admit that this game might be... entertaining on it's own, there is no freaking way I will ever spend any money on it.

The simple fact is this game is called "Fallout 3", which indicates a direct sequel to "Fallout 1" & "Fallout 2". Seeing as it is clearly NOT a sequel (or any other neologism one would throw at it) to either of those games. I find the fact they seek to pass it off as such an insult to my intelligence, and just down right shitty in general.

To me it's just a slap in the face when we almost had a real Fallout sequel. I'll never forgive Bethesda for buying the Fallout license just because they lacked an original thought... and for Star Trek Legacy.

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast